Steel Beam Theatre, St. Charles, IL is announcing auditions for their spring production of And a Nightingale Sang by C.P. Taylor. This touching, funny play about Helen and her family takes place in northern England during World War II. Experience with English dialects is required.
Auditions are Sunday, February 23 from 6:30-9:30pm at Steel Beam Theatre, 111 W. Main St., St. Charles. Production dates are May 22 through June 14 (Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 3pm). Rehearsals begin the week of April 13 and will take place in St. Charles.
We are looking to cast the following roles: (ages are indicative only; open to all types of actors)
- Helen Stott (early 30s): female-identifying; self-deprecating and stoic, narrates the story and holds the family together whenever they face a crisis
- Joyce Stott (22): female-identifying; Helen's younger sister, indecisive and in love with Eric
- Peggy "Mam" Stott (50s): female-identifying; Helen's mother, a God-fearing Catholic who is prone to overreacting.
- Andie (70s): male-identifying; Helen's granddad and Peggy's father, a delightful animal-lover and humorous in all situations.
- Eric (20s): male-identifying; Joyce's love interest, tries to get out of going to war and whose insecurities get the better of him.
- Norman (30s): male-identifying; Helen's love interest, soldier who tries to please everyone but only succeeds in hurting those close to him