The Auditorium Theatre is the crowning achievement of famed architects Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler. It was built in 1889, and was immediately acclaimed as one of the most beautiful and functional theatres in the world. Its architectural integrity and perfect acoustics are internationally recognized. Closed at the onset of World War II, the Theatre was neglected and abandoned for many years slipping into oblivion and decay. Through the valiant efforts of Mrs. Beatrice T. Spachner and a group of dedicated civic leaders an independent council was formed, and raised funds to restore the Theatre to much of its original splendor.